Thursday, December 15, 2011

Things I will miss when I leave China

Seems that the Chinese gods got upset at my last blog post and hence, it has been windier than usual and my throat is scratchy. To appease them, I am going to write about the things I will miss once I leave China:
   
  1. Pandas/panda merchandise - I have never seen so many things Panda, ever. I will miss the street shops selling Panda hats/gloves/socks and souvenir stores selling panda magnets, pictures,bookmarks etc. 
  2. Getting away with wearing a panda hat EVERY DAY - If I did that in Atlanta, people would think I was a freak, after the first week. Here, it is adorable and I get compliments all the time and once I even had my own panda hat stalker who tracked me down in the dorm.
  3. Cheap food - Lunch for $1 and dinner for $1. Just have to bike to get the food. There isn't a better deal than that.
  4. Public transport - The subway system is awesome. Minus the morning rush hour when they have people who are employed to just push you inside the door (true story)
  5. Getting offered a job - A stranger on the street offered me a job as an English teacher, would never happen in the US.
  6. Street food - Right from street sushi, to fried potatoes and even meat on stick, the food carts offer cheap deliciousness while traveling.
  7. Compliments - I don't think I will hear anyone say again - "I like your skin color". Also, my eyes are way pretty in China apparently.
  8. Special preference - Being a foreigner has its perks, it is racism in a nice way. People are nicer and more helpful, at most places. 
  9. Clean living room - The place where I stay includes cleaning service for the outside room+bathroom. All I have to do is sweep all the dust from my room, under the door and someone else takes care of it.
  10. Bargaining - The joy of buying something at 30RMB when the shopkeeper started at 280RMB. 
  11. Trophy friend - One of my friend's invited me to a christmas party so that she could be cool, bringing the foreigner to a Chinese event. I was a good trophy friend and single-handedly helped the girls team win Pictionary.
  12. Sleeping - Not going out/having cable tv/high speed internet has led to more sleep time, 8 hours is my minimum now.
  13. Train system - Clean and efficient and makes traveling a whole lot easier in the mainland.
  14. Asking to be photographed - It is nice when total strangers want to take a picture of you (but its creepy when they are taking a picture *of* you without asking/telling)
  15. Hot pot - One of my favorite foods here. Debated about buying a hot pot on amazon but realized I won't be able to recreate the Chinese flavors :(
Update: Missed mentioning cat loving BFF (in my defense, he is not bound to China, he shall be back)
     0. My BFF Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment