Monday, October 24, 2011

A day at People's Park - Chengdu

Chengdu is a really nice city. It is more laid back than Beijing and the people seem nicer.

On our 2nd day in Chengdu, we decided to explore the city. The city has a famous park called the People's park. Warren and I were expecting something similar to the Beijing parks we have been too. Calm, old people singing, maybe some birdie hackey-sack. 

What we did not expect was crazy dancing, a talent show and some intense badminton (and a bonsai garden).

The park also had creepy, old rides for kids as seen below:



I watched some people play Badminton but chickened out of asking them and we moved to the bonsai garden. In addition to Warren and his parents enjoying Chinese horticulture, we also found bubbles ! I decided to try out my telephoto lens to take some pictures of bubbles and thus, I made friends with the bubble girls who gladly blew bubbles and posed for me to take pictures. They were a giggly, happy bunch and let me take a bunch of trial and error bubble pictures.
   



After the seeming quiet of the bonsai garden we followed the crowd to hear loud music. Guess what we found - A Chinese talent show ! There was singing and dancing and much applause involved. It was pretty entertaining and Warren and I creeped and took some pictures of the performers. We then saw some tai-chi-esque dancing but nothing prepared us for the crazy line dancing that we were about to enjoy (and participate in).




Following the music we got to this open stage and saw people just breaking it down, Chinese style. Here is a short video for your enjoyment:






Being the only foreigners, one of the guy's made Warren and I join the dancing. The first sequence wasn't too bad, but we gave up when the dance moves got too complex. Next to the dancing, there was a kids fashion show and Warren wanted to steal a baby but compromised by taking pictures of babies.

We found a really cute girl whose dress matched the yellow flowers in the background and her parents were more than happy to let us take her picture and even let Warren pose with her !



After much dancing, laughing, and amazement at the belly dancing Chinese man we moved on to the "boating area". Usually when I think of boating, I think of this:

                                      

          NOT this:

                                     

But I guess it is China.... In their defense though, it was National Holiday and everyone and I mean every single person in China was out and about, traveling.

On our way out, we saw more dancing and the last group was Waltzing. Warren's mom taught him how to square dance - correctly as she believed her son was not doing it right the first time :p

At the exit, I saw some people playing Badminton and mustered up my courage to ask them if I can play. It was fun, the guy went really easy on me and did not make me look like a fool.


Our day ended, by eating at a Chinese restaurant and ordering food without a menu or pointing at pictures. It was eventful to say the least.

If only Piedmont park was as entertaining...

3 comments:

  1. The dancing is awesome...They CAN break it down!! And asian kids are sooo cute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog. Update?

    ReplyDelete